Smoking rules not enforced at CSULB

Cal State Long Beach calls itself a smoke-free campus, yet many students and faculty overlook the smoking policy every day.

The smoke-free environment policy was adopted in the fall semester of 1989.

The policy states that smoking is prohibited inside buildings and courtyards, within 20 feet of building entrances, windows and air intakes, and the perimeter of Brotman Hall.

With this policy, CSULB claims to guard against secondhand smoke.

“I usually see people smoking while waiting for class at the CBA building, and there’s clearly a sign posted around the building,” said Daniel Carter, sophomore criminal justice major.

In 2004, Assembly Bill 846 went into effect to increase the smoking distance from five feet to 20 feet from state buildings. AB 846 also mandates that state agencies can further regulate with more severe restrictions.

Although the official policy states 20 feet, the signs posted on the CBA building are written as 25 feet. This rule means 20 or 25 feet from any entry, exit or air vent of any university building.

“Whenever I see someone smoking outside of class or something, I just move away, even though I know they’re the ones who are supposed to [move],” said Kristian Patterson, junior criminal justice major.

Long Beach is a smoke-free city. The same regulations apply to the city, as listed in CSULB’s policy.

As part of the Long Beach Municipal Code 8.68, smoking is prohibited at beaches and near bus stops. Still, there are several bus stops on campus where people can be seen smoking while waiting for their buses.

“I guess everyone just has to look out for themselves since it’s not going to be enforced,” Patterson said.

The policy also prohibits smoking outdoors in areas that are near food service facilities.

“I hate when I’m trying to eat, and I can smell smoke,” Carter said. “It makes me want to get up and leave.”

According to the CSULB’s smoke-free environment policy, “The success of this policy depends upon the thoughtfulness, consideration and cooperation of everyone.”