Alumni screen film on UFOs

Gerson and Carina Sanginitto are returning to Cal State Long Beach, after graduating in 2005, to screen their film “Area Q” in the CSULB Latin American Studies Film Series.

The Sanginittos are originally from Brazil, where Gerson studied theater and Carina studied nutrition. However, in 1996, Gerson moved to the United States to study film. He brought his wife along to study with him.

They studied at El Camino College for two years before transferring to CSULB’s film department.

The Sanginittos said they work extremely well together because they like to work on different aspects of the film — Gerson on directing and Carina on photography.

They said, since they are married, they have a large amount of time to discuss and work on their film projects together.

“We complement each other,” Carina said. “It’s like two parts that come together.”

For “Area Q,” Gerson was the director and Carina was the director of photography. The film is about a reporter, played by “Grey’s Anatomy” star Isaiah Washington, who raises his son as a single father. After his son disappears he is assigned a UFO story in Brazil, which he later learns is connected to his son’s disappearance.

Gerson said he chose Washington, who he calls a “trooper,” because the actor read the script and loved it.

The movie was filmed on location for 28 days in Brazil, in addition to five days in Los Angeles. While in Brazil, the cast and crew worked 12-hour days in a remote location, in hot weather, with no trailers.

“It’s so different because we show a lot of the north-east of Brazil,” Carina said.

This is now the seventh feature film the Sanginittos have worked on together after graduating from CSULB.

“I’m honored,” Gerson said. “I hope I can say something to inspire people … what I hope is to have people thinking about it,” he said.

“Area Q” will be screened for free admission as part of the Latin American Studies Film Series at CSULB in the University Theatre on Oct. 13 at 7 p.m.