California’s bullet train to cost more than expected

California’s bullet train will cost approximately $98.5 billion, more than double the initial estimated price of $34 billion, and will take nearly 13 years to build.

Construction is scheduled to start some time in 2012, with its projected completion date in 2033.

The California bullet train would run from Northern to Southern California, stopping at cities such as San Francisco, San Jose, Fresno, Bakersfield, Los Angeles and Anaheim.

When proposed on the California state ballot in 2008, voters selected to build the train, but faced a possible raise in taxes in order to pay for the fees.

Funding for the 220 mph trains has been an ongoing battle. The rail project depends on Congress to provide much of the funding. If the state decides to not go along with the proposed rail system, California may need to invest $171 billion in new highways and airport facilities to accommodate alternative means of transportation for travelers.

With the state’s growing population, many consider the high-speed rail to be a necessity for the state’s competition for alternative transportation.

Gov. Jerry Brown and the Legislature will start discussing whether there will be enough funds to start construction next year.

It is predicted that the California bullet train will be a success for the state once officially in operation. It will create an estimated 1 million jobs, along with its expected revenue. By 2040, the operating profit is projected to range between $2.3 billion and $3.7 billion, depending on the amount of riders.

Cal State Long Beach international studies major Katarina Eleby said, “I think the California taxpayers should only pay what was agreed to pay from the 2008 election. The rest of the funding should come from either the state or the federal government, which is looking highly unlikely at the moment.”

Ticket charges have been predicted for the California bullet. A one-way fare from Los Angeles to San Francisco is calculated to cost between $53 and $123, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Brown has been in support of the bullet train.

“California’s high-speed rail project will create hundreds of thousands of jobs,” he said.