Students question Obama’s re-election, Republican opponents

Cal State Long Beach students are as confused as Republicans seem to be about whose name will appear on the 2012 presidential ballot.

The four years Obama has been in office has been enough for some students to want him out of office.

“[Obama] had a good thing going,” said Christopher Brown, a sophomore business marketing major. “He was black and people really responded to that.”

According to sophomore political science major Christina Nguyen, Obama has lost most of his support.

“I think it’s going to go back to Republicans,” she said.

However, there has not been enough agreement for anyone to think any candidate is a sure shot. The Internet might have a lot to do with that, according to CSULB alumnus Jack Boran.

“One interesting thing you see nowadays is that there is a very diverse pool of candidates, each with quite a bit of support,” Boran said. “It is a change from 20 or 30 years ago, when you really only had a few candidates with any kind of mainstream support. The Internet has made a huge difference.”

Presidential hopeful Herman Cain has made headlines since allegations of sexual harassment surfaced. He was considered one of the top contenders for the Republican nomination, but may no longer have a chance, according to some students.

“You can vote for Cain, but he is not going to make it,” Brown said.

Michele Bachmann has been making headlines since she announced her run for office in June of this year.

Bachmann became the first woman ever to win the Iowa GOP Ames Straw Poll in August, but has fallen off the wagon in recent polls.

Andrew Reed, a sophomore psychology major, said she has no chance of being nominated.

“She is a joke, just nuts,” Reed said. “She is really controversial.”

Ron Paul’s name is easily recognized from the 2008 presidential elections.

“Ron Paul is the best choice for America, and America is going to show that when they vote,” CSULB student Nicky Robertson said. “The polls are corrupt. Only the mainstream candidates with tons of corporate money ever rank highly! And Ron Paul still manages to win some polls, even though he only takes money from actual citizens of the United States.”

According to Jason Greenidge, a junior political science major, Mitt Romney has some serious flaws as a candidate.

“Unless Mitt Romney stops being two-faced, he won’t have a chance,” Greenidge said. “He is getting a lot of backlash because he’s a Mormon.”

Palmer Luckey contributed to this report.