College Tuition hits its highest

The national average cost of a full credit load has hit the highest on record at more than $8,000, according to the College Board’s release of this year’s twin reports on college costs and student aid.

This fall, the average price of in-state tuition and fees for four-year public universities rose another $631, or 8.3 percent from what it was a year ago.

California led the way, driving up the national average with its 21 percent tuition increase this year, the largest of any state. Even without California’s jump, national prices still would have increased by 7 percent on average.

“I haven’t been as personally affected by it,” junior Jessie Kim said. “But it’s starting to become more and more of a concern as I learn more about it.”

Also, the demand for a college degree has dramatically increased over the past ten years, as according to statistics given by Vincent A. Novack, assistant vice president of institutional research and assessment at Cal State Long Beach. In 2001, CSULB had 36,745 applications, which grew to 40,231 applications in 2003. This year, the school received 78,766 applications.

The federal government has taken on more of this burden by making large increases in federal grants and tax credits for students this year in response to state cuts.

The Long Beach Press-Telegram states that such actions have helped to keep the costs of tuition and fees upon families relatively low, at about $2,490.

Senior Michael Joplin said that while the government helps students pay for college, it does little to restrain prices from rising.

“It seems counterproductive,” said Joplin. “Giving away more money to college while also raising the price of tuition — it seems self-defeating.”

With such prospects, some students said cost could discourage others to attend four-year universities.

“Either people will wait to go to college, or they just won’t go at all,” Joplin said.

College prices in California still aren’t as high as those of other states, but for the first time ever, California’s tuition and fee rates are above the national average.

“As far as California goes, our state budget should be reprioritized,” Kim said. “People need to be more aware of the issues … we need to be more aware so we can take action for it.”