Students to build cardio, fundraise in honor of veterans

The Student Recreation and Wellness Center at Cal State Long Beach will host “Sweat for a Vet” on Saturday, a three-hour cardio fundraiser in honor of Veterans’ Day.

“Sweat for a Vet” is a national event that raises money to promote fitness for veterans through the purchase of exercise equipment for disabled veterans or for training a veteran to be a fitness instructor. Project VisAbility, an organization that promotes events and programs that benefit disabled veterans, will sponsor the event.

Ayla Donlin, full-time kinesiology lecturer at CSULB, helped create the event before it became national. The first-ever “Sweat for a Vet” was held at Frog’s Fitness center at CSULB in May 2010. It became a national event in November 2010. Donlin said she was inspired by Project VisAbility’s mission to start “Sweat for a Vet.”

“Myself and a couple other people started the event just out of inspiration from several other fundraisers we had attended and because we really believed in Project VisAbility’s mission … to provide equipment and opportunities for disabled veterans,” Donlin said. “We really believed in that mission and we wanted to do something nationally and internationally to get behind that mission.”

“Sweat for a Vet” will take place in the Farber room of the SRWC from 6:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. on Saturday.

Participants can sweat it out on spin bikes, krank cycles and rowing machines for $10 per hour. Part of the money that is raised at CSULB will help the SRWC buy a krank cycle.

According to Maureen MacRae, fitness coordinator for the SRWC, the seat on a krank cycle comes off so someone in a wheelchair could use it.

Everyone across the country who participates in “Sweat for a Vet” will be working out with some of the best fitness instructors in the country, like Johnny G., creator of the spin bike. Participants across the country will follow the main workout by watching a live web video link from the Tysons Sport and Health Club in Mclean, Virginia.

Donlin will be in Virginia this Saturday, helping to lead the workout for “Sweat for a Vet.” In preparation for the event, Donlin has been planning the work out, speakers and music for “Sweat for a Vet.” According to Donlin, more than 30 athletic clubs across the country will be participating as well as 20 clubs internationally.

The Fitness Majors Association (FMA) has helped to promote the event at CSULB.

According to Tony Nuñez, senior kinesiology major and vice president of the FMA, students should participate in “Sweat for a Vet” because it’s a great workout and a way to give back to the community.

“As able-bodied individuals, it is our duty to lend our support to those who may not have been as fortunate, especially if their disability is the consequence of being in the line of duty protecting our country and our rights,” Nuñez said.

Students can sign up for “Sweat for a Vet” at the fitness desk at the SRWC. Entries will be accepted until Friday morning.

Anyone who donates more than the minimum of $10 per hour or works out for three hours will receive a free T-shirt.

Those who want to simply make a donation can stop by the fitness desk or visit projectvisability.org.