University museum curator to promote experimental program

Cal State Long Beach alumna Kristina Newhouse, who was recently appointed curator for the University Art Museum, plans to implement more effective experiences at the museum that will draw the attention of several generations.

Newhouse will be working closely with the University Art Museum’s Director Christopher Scoates along with Brian Trimble, the curator of education for the museum. Together, she said they will devise strategies for implementing programs to create new experiences for visitors.

“There has been a great generational shift brought about by media, like iPhones,” Newhouse said. “The younger generation now processes experiences in many different ways and think about museums in very different ways than people from my generation.”

She plans to draw on effective programs from other museums across the country to create a more memorable experience for the art museum’s visitors.

“People don’t want to just come in and look at things on a wall,” Newhouse said. “They need more than the didactic label about the object. They want to engage on a personal level.”

Newhouse said museums that use interactive programs in their exhibits enable visitors to take their experiences home with them.

“It’s something that stays with them, a memory,” she said. “This is the kind of thing I want to see in the future.”

Newhouse has also been a curator for the Torrance Art Museum and a lecturer at Cal State Northridge and CSULB.

Newhouse said she thinks art is something necessary for others to see because it makes contributions outside of the art world.

“Culturally, we need all the different ways people know how to make sense of the world,” she said. “People who are creative in that way are often the people who come up with brilliant ideas for other things.”

Newhouse was hired for the curator position due in part to her interest in contemporary art, her bachelor’s of art degree and her master’s in fine art.