Occupy Long Beach costs mount, protesters rally for camping rights

The cost of increased police presence for the large number of Occupy Long Beach protesters at the city council meeting last Tuesday was more than $40,000 for the night, according to Long Beach Police Chief Jim McDonnell.

The extra officers were paid overtime, in contrast to the day-to-day police monitoring of protesters in Lincoln Park, which no longer employs officers on regular duty.

The LBPD declined to provide information on the total cost of police for the OLB protests.

“You’re basically showing your cards to those that would expose it,” McDonnell said.

Other cities have disclosed their costs, however. Occupy Wall Street, the hub of the Occupy movement, has cost taxpayers an estimated $7 million.

As the Occupy Long Beach movement pushes into its second month of protests, members continue to press local officials for a special provision that will allow them to camp overnight in Lincoln Park using tents and other temporary shelters.

Currently, most protesters move out of the park and onto the adjacent sidewalk each night at 10 p.m. — the park’s closing time. The few that occasionally remain typically get cited or arrested by police, with the total count currently at 15 arrests.

During a public comment period at the city council meeting last Tuesday, several people asked the city for a free speech zone in the park that would grant an exception to city ordinances that prohibit camping in public spaces. No decision was made, with the council electing to make a decision on Dec. 6.

On Nov. 25, police confiscated belongings of OLB protesters after warning them that they must be removed.

In response, the protesters said they plan on keeping their belongings in storage bins. They said they hope this will lead to fewer complaints from residents who say that the protests are an “eyesore,” with group organizers putting out a call for volunteers to decorate the storage bins.

In nearby Irvine, Occupy protesters have been granted permission to camp overnight using tents. However, the permission is temporary, with a recent 2-week extension.

In comparison, the Occupy Long Beach protesters seek permanent recognition, a stance that may worsen their odds of success.

City Attn. Robert Shannon said, “Simply put, this ordinance cannot and does not make an exception for Occupy Long Beach.”