Student wins for innovative web designs

As a junior graphic design major at Cal State Long Beach, Letizia Margo encompasses creativity, inspiration and optimism.

She recently won first and second place in the CSU Media Arts Festival in the Interactive Category for 2011.

Margo submitted two pieces of her work: One website entitled “Lifetime Watches,” and another called “T2 Tea Flash Intro to Website.”

She was surprised to get a phone call from CSULB telling her she had won two awards for her submissions.

“I was very hopeful, but, regardless, there was never a guarantee that I was going to win,” Margo said.

In high school, Margo created publications and posters, and focused more on in-depth graphic design.

She has been doing graphic design for about seven years and plans to continue working in the field.

“My plan was to work in a design firm for perhaps one or two years … I plan on establishing my own design office after I have enough experience, either here or Indonesia,” Margo said.

“Indonesia has a lot of fine designers, only graphic design hasn’t won enough attention there as much as America,” she explained.

Margo gets her ideas by first creating a concept and then stemming further plans off of that.

“I need to find the concept first,” Margo said. “For example, Lifetime Watches talks about art and precision, so it needs to be eye-catching, but at the same time elegant and refined, not cluttered.”

Her website lifetime-watches.com, which won first place, is a site that displays watches for sale within a real company. She took the essence of the product and made a website that matched it.

For the second project, a flash intro for a tea company website, the designer drew inspiration from a web design class taught by Tanya Cummings.

“I love the idea of T2Tea’s color-coded tins and also the idea of having a nice quiet tea room in a midst of a busy mall,” Margo said. “The concept for this project is to market T2 as an escape from all the noise, including all visual clutter.”

Although Margo recently won two awards, she continues to come up with intriguing ideas for future projects.

“I observe everything around me, to the finer details,” Margo said. “As I fill my mind with graphic information, I translate [that] information [into] ideas.”

She also gains inspiration and influence from her father. She said that he is what inspires her to design.

“My father is a photographer, so I was exposed to his beautiful photos and composition ever since I was little,” Margo said.

The young creative designer is also very thankful for her recent success in this contest.

“I’m happy, relieved and very thankful to God,” Margo said. “Also, I’m thankful for Paulus and Tanya who encouraged me to apply for this award, as well as my parents for their never-ending encouragement.”