Pension system criticized by some

California State University’s Faculty Early Retirement Program (FERP) is receiving criticism for what some believe to be an unfair pension system.

Under FERP, tenured faculty and librarians are able to retire, but continue to work part-time for an additional five years, collecting both a pension and a salary, according to Rene Castro, director of academic employee relations. 

In some cases, faculty members actually have a higher income being retired and working part-time than they did while working full-time before joining FERP, Castro said. This has created criticism on whether the pension program gives an unfair pay advantage to its participants. 

“Most people do not retire with those types of benefits,” Castro said. “The controversy over the program is misguided. People act as if they are not working for what they are paid for.”

A faculty member’s pension benefits are tied to the years of service they have provided, according to Castro. 

“Their retirement is something they have earned throughout the years they have served,” he said. “The more years you serve, the more pension you receive.”

Castro defends FERP, stating that it allows experienced faculty to work longer, which benefits the overall campus. 

“Our ability to retain them and have them serve our students is of value to us,” Castro said.

Carol Itatani, a Cal State Long Beach professor emeritus of biological sciences and faculty director of the health professions advising office, is in her fifth and final year of FERP and has enjoyed the benefits of the program. 

Itatani, who has been working at CSULB for more than 30 years, said that FERP has been a perfect opportunity for her to stay involved with the campus.

“You can still teach without having such a hectic schedule,” Itatani said. “You can pick and choose your activities. It has been very advantageous economically and psychologically.”

Itatani said her income has increased some since joining FERP, but did not know the exact figures.

Nevertheless, she believes the program benefits both faculty members and students, especially when there has been a cutback in tenure-track faculty due to ongoing budget cuts.

“You have an experienced faculty here that can continue to work and to contribute under FERP,” Itatani said.

According to the collective bargaining contract between the CSU and the CFA, employees are eligible to join FERP when they reach the age of 55.