Women dominate an increasing gender gap

Graduation reports for Cal State Long Beach showed that more than 50 percent of bachelor’s and master’s degree recipients last year were women.

Erik Fallis, a Cal State University spokesperson, said the university was not created for a specific gender.

“We don’t target any one group,” said Erik Fallis, CSU spokesperson.

The CSU, whose mission is “to encourage and provide access to an excellent education to all who are prepared for and wish to participate in collegiate study,” provides courses that assist both genders.

“We don’t want artificial barriers,” Fallis said.

A Pew Research Center survey found that most Americans find it more necessary for a woman to hold a degree than for a man.

“I think it’s a good thing, I think more women should strive to get their degree instead of just waiting for Mr. Right to come along,” said Mike Beadle, a mechanical engineering major.

Statistics from the United States Department of Labor indicate unemployment rates for women who are college graduates are similar to that of their male counterparts. Further statistics indicate an increase in college enrollment for women as well as minorities.

Juliana Marroquin, an applied math major, said that the lack of men keeps her from getting distracted during most classes.

“You’re really focused on the subject,” Marroquin said. “Except when I go like into higher math like physics.”

The number of men enrolling in higher education has been steadily dropping over the past couple of years.

“There are studies that look at the ‘pipeline’ from K-12, and the ways in which boys and young men are engaged, or not, by the educational process and encouraged to view college as a realistic option,” Jonathan O’Brien, coordinator and lecturer for student development in higher education, said via email.

Research also shows a drop in college enrollment rates for men during times of war.

Women are also reported to have a higher value of education, not just in regards to their personal career goals, but intellectually as well.

“Females are a bit more motivated; men, in general, are complacent and lazy,” said Wesley Norvell, social work graduate student.

He said that, for hundreds of years, women were not given the opportunity to receive an education.

“Young boys need positive role models, which they don’t necessarily have,” Norvell said, referring to the field of social work, which is predominantly female. “There is not equal representation, so we are losing out.”

Studies have indicated the need for gender equality in certain job markets that are largely occupied by women.