Quiet lounge offers room for prayer, meditation

The University Student Union has opened a new lounge for students who need a quiet space to pray, meditate or study.

After months of discussing the installation of the quiet lounge, Associated Students Inc. Senator Ojaala Ahmad was given permission to put her proposal into motion this semester.

Located in Room 308 of the USU, the quiet lounge consists of one love seat, four chairs, one table and spacious floor room for prayer or meditation. The lounge, built with many windows, provides a large view overlooking the west side of campus.

Ahmad said the purpose of the room is for students to engage in career or spiritual meditation.

“Although I had sent a proposal through the Muslim Student Association, [the lounge] is intended for all students, faculty, administration and anyone on campus to use for spiritual activities,” Ahmad said.

According to Christina Esparza, USU communications coordinator, because the quiet lounge is an area for students to relax, reflect and meditate, talking, group studying, cellphone use and computer use are prohibited. More detailed regulations are posted in the lounge.

“I like that the quiet lounge is not very big,” sophomore economics major, Anthony Valdez said. “The bigger the room, the more likely it is to get noisy, like the library, so I think it would be easier to focus in here and do my homework.”

The lounge will be in a trial period until the end of this semester.

“We really hope that the students will take advantage of the quiet lounge so that there is a need for it to stay and help student life on campus,” Ahmad said.

The quiet lounge is open from 7 a.m. to midnight Monday through Friday, and 8 a.m. to noon Saturday.