CSUDH President Garcia to take over as CSUF president in June

Cal State Dominguez Hills President Mildred Garcia will be taking over as president of Cal State Fullerton starting June 1. Garcia served at CSUDH for four and a half years.

A presidential salary cap passed at this month’s Cal State University Board of Trustees meeting, but Garcia’s salary won’t be decided until March, according to Erik Fallis, a CSU spokesman.

CSUF President Milton Gordon earns an annual income of $295,000.

Under the new CSU policy, Garcia can earn only 10 percent more than Gordon’s salary, capping her CSUF salary at $324,500.

Fallis also noted that many CSU president positions have been changing recently.

Cal State Northridge and Cal State San Francisco have interim presidents. Cal State East Bay had an interim president until it was filled recently.

There will be an interim president at Cal State Fullerton until Garcia becomes the president there and leaves an opening for the president position at Cal State Dominguez Hills.

Also, the presidents of Cal State San Bernardino and Cal Maritime have recently announced that they are retiring, Fallis said.

According to Fallis, a recent example of a president at one CSU becoming the president at another CSU is Mo Qayoumi, who was president of CSUEB before he became president of San Jose State.

Most presidents of CSU campuses were previously associated with the CSU, Fallis said.

The Board of Trustees makes all executive hiring decisions, Fallis said. But, faculty, students and community members make up a campus advisory committee, which interviews and reviews applicants before making a recommendation to a Board of Trustees committee.

The final decision is announced in a public meeting, Fallis said.