OrgSync uses networking to connect students to campus life

OrgSync, a student organization networking tool, will be functional for all students by fall 2012.

The Associated Students Inc. Senate approved the program in an attempt to create an easier way for student organizations to reach out to and connect with students.

Organization leaders were contacted to get their organizations affiliated with OrgSync when it was originally launched last fall. The OrgSync network has since registered 3,000 users and 424 organizations in 37 categories.

Jameson Nyeholt, applications support assistant, held several workshops during the fall semester to teach students and faculty how to use OrgSync.

According to Nyeholt, the amount of users registered is on track for what they hoped to accomplish for the fall semester.

The student organization registration will set the platform so students can find the network more useful to them.

“This semester, we will be encouraging students to register for OrgSync through a marketing effort that will begin following Week of Welcome and continue until the end of the semester,” Nyeholt said in an email.

In fact, Student Life and Development included OrgSync as part of its registration process for student organizations.

Nyeholt said some students were wary about trying OrgSync, but, once they saw the network’s features, they found it to be a useful tool.

“Those that have taken the time to learn the system and use it within the organization find it to be a really beneficial tool,” Nyeholt said.” I have received positive feedback from organizations like the College of Liberal Arts Student Council, Zeta Beta Tau Fraternity, and Delta Delta Delta Sorority.”

The goal of OrgSync is to have every student registered and using the network as a resource for connecting with campus life.

“After the semester, our plan is to include OrgSync as a part of SOAR in order to introduce new students to the system, and ensure that they register within the system from the beginning of their college career,” Nyeholt said.

OrgSync is not only for student organizations, but it is also for students to get involved and informed beyond Week of Welcome.