Students receive grant for stem cell research

An internship grant offered to Cal State Long Beach will help biotechnology students conduct stem cell research and greatly improve their chances to find work in the future.

The grant was funded by the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine (CIRM) and was an extension of a previous grant that lasted three years and provided approximately $1.3 million to the program.

The new grant is approximately $1.7 million and the increase was likely due to positive results with the school’s current program.

“I’m delighted that CIRM was so pleased with our success during the first funding cycle of three years that they opted to extend the program for an additional three years,” said Lisa Klig, director of the biotechnology program at CSULB.

According to the CIRM website, the main goals of the program are to educate the public on the advances of stem cell research, to recruit new scientists, to train the students in the techniques of stem cell research, and to provide specialized training and laboratory internships.

The CIRM training is then meant to lead to long-term career opportunities in stem cell research in California.

Student interns receive $25,750 to cover tuition, fees and some living expenses.

As of now, 20 students have completed the program and 10 student interns are currently working in the labs this year.

“We think this is an excellent opportunity for CSULB students to be involved in cutting-edge research in laboratories at UC Irvine and the City of Hope,” Klig said.

Many proponents of stem cell research see it as a way to develop cures and treatments for injuries and illnesses in the future.

“The hope is that stem cell research will teach us more about developmental biology to test drugs, personalized medicine, and to serve as treatments and therapies,” Klig said.