Cal Grant GPA reqs may rise in 2012

Gov. Jerry Brown’s new proposal to cut Cal Grant programs for the University of California and Cal State University systems will require a higher grade point average for students to receive Cal Grants. 

In his 2012-13 Governor’s Budget Summary, Brown proposed to increase the minimum GPA for Cal Grant A, a merit-based grant, from 3.0 to 3.25 and the minimum GPA for Cal Grant B, an income-based grant, from 2.0 to 2.75.

Brown also proposed a GPA jump for community college transfers, from 2.4 to 2.75. Nearly 26,600 students will be affected by this proposal.

By increasing the GPA requirements, Brown hopes to decrease an estimated $131.2 million in state funding to Cal Grants. If the proposal is carried through, it will go into effect as soon as the 2012-13 school year.

California has the largest budget deficit in the country, which Brown has been trying to decrease. However, many schools argue that education is an investment for the future and that there are many other ways to decrease the deficit than to jeopardize students’ education.

“The stark truth is that, without some new taxes, damaging cuts to schools, universities, public safety and our courts will only increase,” Brown said. “That is why I will ask the voters to approve a temporary tax increase on the wealthy.”

Brown’s proposed cuts may force students out of school, especially with countless college students depending on Cal Grants to pay for their education.

The temporary tax increase on the wealthy will raise income tax for Californians who earn more than $250,000. If this temporary tax is declined, $200 million in trigger cuts will be applied to the CSU in 2013. 

The $200 million cuts will be in addition to last year’s $650 million decrease in state funds and the $100 million in trigger cuts this past December. This would result in raised tuition costs and lowered financial aid amounts.

Cal State Long Beach students currently pay $3,120 for tuition per semester. If Brown’s proposal is approved, students can expect tuition costs to rise again. Associated Students Inc. Vice President Stephen Thomas is against the cuts to the Cal Grant Program.

“We the students of CSULB firmly oppose the cuts to the Cal Grant Program, and we request that the governor, the assembly, and the Senate fund Cal Grant Programs in order to protect the future of California by preserving access to the CSU system,” Thomas said.

A decision on whether the cuts should be applied will most likely be made this summer. This would create serious problems for incoming students because the deadline for financial aid applications is March 2. Many incoming students will not know how much financial aid they will receive. 

“We are taking a position in opposition to the cuts because many of the students at CSULB receive these [Cal Grants] and without this program they would not be able to afford their education,” Thomas said.