Pyramid to be decked out in snow for event

The Cal State Long Beach ski and snow team will host their first annual Pyramid Rail Jam, a snowboarding exhibition and contest, at the north entrance of the Walter Pyramid on Thursday while 15 tons of snow is blown onto the pyramid’s steps.

“The Rail Jam is for the team to show who we are to the student body, as well as the community,” said Eric Wong, the snow team’s media and team manager. “It’s for us to have fun and put on an event that CSULB has never seen before.”

A full roster of 40 competitors will ride on the snow for fun and prizes.

There will be six snowboarding features, including 60 feet worth of rails, a wall ride, corrugated tube and a 10-foot box the team hauled down from their season house in Mammoth.

According to team co-captain Ryan Stenberg, this event has been in the works for years.

“We’ve had officers and captains from over a decade ago that had this idea in their heads,” Stenberg said. “It was just a matter of getting the university to approve it. That’s been the difficult part.”

But, finally, “they approved the crazy plan we had,” he said.

Associated Students Inc. is funding the snow through additional grants.

“The event wouldn’t have been possible, otherwise,” Stenberg said. “We couldn’t have afforded it with our own team account money.”

Iceman Ice Co. will supply the 15 tons (30,000 pounds) of snow by grinding up 300-pound blocks of ice.

“We believe that this is one of the few events that has ever come to CSULB that everyone can come attend and really get excited about,” Stenberg said.

The Rail Jam will feature music by an on-site DJ, free food courtesy of truck vendors, giveaways from nine sponsors who’ll have tents set up, as well as a few surprises Stenberg and Wong wouldn’t give hints about.

“Just come out and support us,” Wong said. “Have fun, check it out — see what we’re all about. And if you love snowboarding and skiing, come check out the team. We’re a great team for everyone.”

The open riding exhibition portion will take place from noon to 1 p.m. and 3 to 4 p.m. and the competition portion will last from 1 to 3 p.m.