Creative writing MFA program presents reading series

Creative writing master of fine arts program students will present their readings at the Exhibit [A] gallery in Downtown Long Beach on Friday at 7 p.m., as part of a monthly reading series.

The event will give students a chance to present their works in front of a public audience, said Eric Forrester, host of Friday’s event and creator of the MFA reading series, who is also working on his creative writing MFA degree.

“We want to get our work out there and get [students] used to reading in public,” Forrester said.

The After the Carnival (Literary Events) organization will host the 2nd Friday Readings at Exhibit [A]. Sarah Miller, a graduate from the CSULB creative writing MFA program, founded the organization.

“I wanted to celebrate what we have in Long Beach,” Miller said.

The site of the event, Exhibit [A], is managed by Evan Kelly of Vayden Roi Galleries and is located on Pine Avenue in downtown Long Beach.

Kelly, who graduated from the CSULB photography MFA program, has several gallery locations in Long Beach, each providing a free space for the Long Beach community to use as they wish. Live music, art showcases, and community meetings make up the variety of events that the galleries put on, said Kelly.

Miller was able to start 2nd Friday Readings with the help of Kelly, who provided Exhibit [A] as the venue.

Exhibit [A] welcomes CSULB students to share their work whenever possible, Kelly said.

“Students bring all knowledge and passion. When they are in school, they are immersed in [their work], and they bring that with them,” Kelly said.

The event, usually hosted by Miller, will be hosted by Forrester this year. It will start with a meet and greet from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. to be followed by the five featured writers.

The readers include fiction writers Tamar Altebarmakian, Mallory Reeves, and Merica Teng. Also featured are poets Luisa Peña and Mae Ramirez.

Each reader gets about 10 to 12 minutes to present their piece, allowing time for attendees to connect to each performance, Forrester said.

“There is an eclectic mix of readers, each one is so different,” Miller said.

According to Forrester, the series used to be a biannual event, which meant 24 readers had to present in one evening. The monthly event now offers more time and opportunity for writers to share their works, Forrester said.

According to Forrester, The next MFA Reading Series event is tentatively scheduled for March 16.