Bus trip to bring students to state Capitol

Associated Students Inc. is reviewing student applications for contenders to travel by bus to the March in March, an annual event created to promote low student fees, on March 5 in Sacramento.

The annual march, which has applied exclusively to California Community College students since 2009, will also encompass Cal State Universities this year.

The bus trip will allow students to go to Sacramento and back, according to Stephen Thomas, ASI vice president.

Applications to reserve one of 56 seats on the bus are available on BeachSync, and will be reviewed before making reservations for the bus.

The march began in 2009 to lower student fees, hire full-time faculty and counselors, and provide affordable textbooks and classes for students.

“As we’ve seen in the past, students through their advocacy efforts are able to mitigate lofty fee increases and dreadful budget cuts,” said Richael Young, former president of the Student Senate for California Community Colleges.

In 2009, a proposal almost increased fees by 200 percent for community colleges, according to the March for March website. However, fees were increased by 30 percent instead due to the heavy advocacy efforts that started in March and lasted through the summer.

The March in March has been made an annual event ever since.

California colleges continue to be the most affordable system of higher education in the United States and allow all students of any socioeconomic background to receive higher education. The mission of this march is to keep it that way.

“The governor’s office and countless members of the state Senate and Assembly watch the event closely to hear the student response to the legislative proposals that are on the table,” Young said.

The March in March 2012 will take place at Southside Park in Sacramento from 7-9 a.m. The march to the state Capitol starts at 10 a.m. and the rally at the Capitol Steps starts at 11 a.m.

More information on the march can be found at iwillmarch.com, a student-run website that gives updates on upcoming advocacy events regarding California colleges.

“I think it’s important to highlight that the march is important for visibility, but advocacy efforts must be continued after we all go home from Sacramento,” Young said. “This includes meeting with representatives locally and contacting their office regularly with positions on bills or budget proposals.”

For questions regarding trip applications, go to the University Student Union, Room 311 or contact ASI Vice President Stephen Thomas at [email protected].