CSULB alumnus runs for city council

Cal State Long Beach graduate student Mike Kamer has worked for a nightclub and AmeriCorps, but he is now seeking election for a prospective job on the Long Beach City Council. 

After graduating from University of Nevada, Las Vegas with a degree in philosophy and becoming director of promotions for a Las Vegas nightclub, Ice, Kamer said he still felt empty.

In 2008, Kamer moved to Long Beach and joined AmeriCorps, which provides training and support for nonprofit organizations. 

“I had the honor to work with some great programs for domestic violence and childhood obesity through my AmeriCorps work, while witnessing the power of volunteerism,” Kamer said. 

Kamer, who is pursuing a master’s degree in public administration, is running against Janet Ballantyne and incumbent Suja Lowenthal

One thing that separates Kamer from Lowenthal is his campaign fundraising. Kamer is campaigning on less than $1,000 in a race where candidates’ spending limits can be set at $40,000. 

Kamer said he will not accept cash donations for the campaign, but he encourages those who want to help his campaign to give straight to the community by donating to nonprofits.

He said if people donated half of the campaign’s spending limit, then the money would go to Long Beach nonprofits, rather than “signs, TV and radio time.”

Another issue Kamer said he hopes to tackle, if elected, is LGBT issues. 

He said not being able to find resources when you Google “LGBT domestic violence shelter in Long Beach” is a concern he would like to address. 

“Domestic violence is an unfortunate aspect of all communities,” Kamer said. “I’d like to see the LGBTQ community have access to the same quality of resources as everyone else does.”

Kamer said he wants to continue Lowenthal’s work with the LGBT community, and do more.