Popular rec center classes are in high demand

Ellie Ingram, a senior health care administration major, arrived 25 minutes before her spin class at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center last week, but she was too late to get a spot.

“Right at 30 minutes before class starts, people claim all the bikes and, if you don’t get there early, you won’t be able to take the class,” Ingram said. “You have to put a towel on the bike to claim your spot.”

Ingram said she learned her lesson when she was turned away from the class and, now, she arrives very early if she wants to be admitted.

“For certain classes, if you want to get in, you have to come very early,” Ingram said. “Spin class is so popular because you burn the most, you’ll be dripping sweat.”

Maureen MacRae, fitness coordinator for the SRWC, said the classes tend to be really full during the first few weeks of school.

“We had to have sign-up sheets during the first two weeks because too many people wanted to get in,” MacRae said.

Halfway through the semester, people are still turned away from classes once they hit capacity. The Butts & Guts class, a high intensity body sculpting class, is especially popular. Lines start forming nearly 40 minutes before the class.

The group fitness classes can accommodate up to 34 people, yet there is not always enough equipment for everyone’s specific needs.

“I get here early so that I can get the equipment I need,” freshman psychology major Emily Shultz said. “If I want the eight-pound dumbbells, I make sure I’m here early.”

Freshman psychology major Mallory Sinclair said she comes to the group fitness classes to stay in shape and avoid the “freshman 15.”

“It’s a really great way to stay motivated and get the guidance that I need,” Sinclair said. “I burn a lot more calories in the classes than when I work out on my own.”

MacRae said the SRWC is responding to the high demand with more body sculpting classes.

“We already added two Fit Ball classes, and another Butts and Guts class,” she said. “Also, we’ll add another instructional class next semester for more advanced body sculpting.”

The most popular classes are spin (indoor cycling), Butts and Guts and the High Intensity Training class.

“These are the classes that always fill up,” Shultz said. “If you want to take these classes, get here early.”

The SRWC offers nearly 50 free group fitness classes as well as other more specialized instructional classes, such as tai chi, that range from $20 to $75, depending on the class and the length of the session.