International students reflect on costs, benefits of living in California

International students who attend Cal State Long Beach have to pay additional tuition fees despite not being eligible for federal or state financial aid.

“In addition to the tuition that California residents pay, international students also pay $372 per unit they enroll in,” said Nathan Jensen, senior director of the center for international education.

International students also have to deal with transferable and accredited classes.

Jenson said it is not necessarily more difficult for international students to be accepted, it is just more difficult making sure their transcripts are compatible with CSULB’s academic policies, such as GE classes.

Nabih Faour, a graduate student majoring in computer science, moved to California from Lebanon in 2009.

“Living almost 10,000 miles away from home is one of the biggest sacrifices a person could make,” Faour said. “Of course it is fun, but you are away from family and friends.”

He said he can afford CSULB because he saved money in Lebanon and received support from his family. So far, Faour has paid $27,397 in tuition alone.

“I’m lucky enough to have a supportive family,” Faour said. “I wouldn’t be able to be here if it weren’t for them.”

Aram Ghaneet, a senior international business major, said he knew that moving from Germany to California would be expensive, so he saved money by working as a photojournalist, as well as a wedding and nightclub photographer.

“I feel a bit broke,” Ghaneet said. “I don’t have a car and have to ride my bike everywhere.”

Ghaneet, who relies on his savings as well as being a German tutor on campus, said it may be expensive to live in California, but the beaches and the warm weather are worth it.

“Living here is expensive, the housing is expensive,” Ghaneet said.

Ghaneet said starting a life in California and meeting friendly people was worth the sacrifice. He said if he were given the opportunity, he would do it all over again.

“I meet people during the week and, on the weekend, they already want to hang out,” Ghaneet said.