Marriage, college wed for some students at Cal State Long Beach

For many college students, juggling classes with a social life and romantic relationships is complicated enough, and yet, some students are deciding now is the time to take those relationships to the next level.

At Cal State Long Beach, some students are in the midst of starting their own family while finishing up their degrees and beginning their professional career.

Bridget Fonseca, senior political science major, recently got engaged to her boyfriend Juan Rodriguez of three and a half years.

“We decided to get engaged because we knew from the start that it is a once-in-a-lifetime chance when you get to marry a person you can truly call your best friend,” she said.

Blake Robertson, senior industrial arts major, has been married to his wife Jenna Robertson since his sophomore year at CSULB.

“When we found out that my major is a five-year program, she kind of gave me an ultimatum,” he said. “She said, ‘We’re not waiting till you’re done. We have to get married sooner.'”

Robertson and Fonseca agreed that the toughest part is making time, especially with their hectic schoolwork.

“Not being able to see [my fiancé] during the week because of school and work schedules is tough,” Fonseca said. “Our time together is limited only on weekends.”

Although some people have the idea that marriage means the end of certain friendships and a social life, Robertson disagreed. He said that he is still able to keep his relationships with his close friends and do leisure activities every now and then.

However, Robertson said that his life is more settled compared to someone who is not in such a committed relationship.

“I have responsibilities and priorities that supersede my own desire to have a good time,” he said.

Fonseca agreed that being in such a committed relationship has put her more at ease, especially with school and her personal life. She said it has changed her life in several positive ways.

“Being engaged to someone has helped me control my stress,” she said. “I have a person always there to hear my problems and struggles. They can give me a different insight on how to improve.”

As for Robertson, he said he has been able to put more focus on school now that he has a family to support.

Robertson said that, for him, college is a means rather than a place for a social experience.

“I have a certain responsibility to someone else,” he said. “I take things more seriously because I need to get through school and get into my career. We want to make time for our plans in the future.”

Though Robertson has been happily married for four years, he doesn’t think it is a situation for everyone to try while in college

“I don’t think people should force something to happen,” he said. “You have to look at your own situation and where you are at in life.”

Fonseca said that it definitely takes time to find that person that you will truly want to marry.

“I believe once you find them you will truly know because it is a feeling that inhabits your body like no other,” she said. “Once that feeling is there no one can take it away and that is how it worked for us.”

Robertson advises anyone who wants to try getting married while in college to take it seriously.

“This is a real commitment,” he said. “This is probably going to be the most important thing you’ve done up to that point of your life.”