College students may begin to list sexual orientation in apps

California state schools may begin asking students for their sexual orientation on college applications next year as part of an effort to gather information on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender services offered at University of California and California State University campuses.

According to the Los Angeles Times, a private school in Illinois, Elmhurst College, was the first to ask students for their sexual orientation. Still, the CSU system would contain the largest amount of campuses to ask students for their sexual orientation.

Assembly member Marty Block’s AB 620 bill, now state law, requires California State Universities, University of California campuses and community colleges to create harassment, intimidation and bullying policies in their student conduct rules.

The law also requires a designated employee at each campus to help LGBT faculty, staff and students, according to the Equality California website.

Block’s bill would not require students to reveal their sexual orientation on applications.

“The legislative intent of the law is to ensure adequate campus services,” said Erik Fallis, a CSU spokesperson. “The information would likely be gathered through the [enrollment forms], and no person would be obligated to respond.”

Services provided by the Cal State Long Beach LGBT Student Resource Center include student-run campus events and support groups; social events; student organizations such as Gay-Straight Alliance, Delta Lambda Phi and Queer Ink; and faculty, staff and student assistants.

National Coming Out Week, Transgender Day of Remembrance, World AIDS Day and Lavender Graduation are a few of the major events hosted by CSULB LGBT groups.

Michelle Panabe, LGBT Resource Center student assistant, said that this new rule would not necessarily be beneficial to students.

“I realize that … the application form [is to] get a general idea of how many LGBT students are coming onto campus and how much resources we’re probably going to need if we have an increase in numbers,” Panabe said.

“But at the same time, it’s kind of disrespectful because we try to emphasize the fact that you can’t out anybody. You don’t have to out yourself.”