USU turns 40, celebration Wednesday

For students, the University Student Union is a convenient place to hang out, watch television, play billiards or bowl; but before 1972 the space the building occupied was simply an empty lot.

The USU is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year because of student efforts that began in 1965. That year, students voted in favor of what they first called the “Student Body Center,” according to Christina Esparza, Associated Students Inc. communications coordinator. During that time, students approved a fee referendum to finance the construction and another fee referendum for the operation of the building.

“If you walk around the USU today, you will see very few rooms and facilities that look the same as they did in 1970,” said Dave Edwards, USU executive director and ASI executive director via email. “For example, the Alamitos Beach room near the USU Ballrooms is pretty close to how it was designed and constructed in 1970.”

According to Edwards, the basic structure of the building has remained the same. The plumbing, heating and air conditioning are the same as they were forty years ago.

“As you can imagine, upgrades to these systems will probably be necessary in the near future,” Edwards said.

In addition to the Alamitos Beach room and the plumbing, Edwards said the bowling alley was the original one installed forty years ago, until the USU flooded in 2010. The USU Board of Trustees at the time then decided to modernize the entire bowling area with new lanes, ball returns and automatic scorers.

In 1995, students approved a fee referendum that financed the renovation and expansion of the USU, and in 1998, the $17 million USU improvement project was completed. Renovations were made to the third floor to the USU building, which houses the Associated Students Government office and USU Board of Trustees office, among other offices. According to Esparza, the escalators and the west wing were added by the decision of the USU Board of Trustees during that time as well.

Students’ opinions and suggestions are very important when any changes or additions made to the USU Esparza said.

“When we can, [we] heed the advice of students,” Esparza said via email. “For instance, we’re going to be installing more Wi-Fi hotspots soon.”

The USU’s 40th anniversary celebration will take place April 18 starting at 10 a.m. Students will be able to enjoy interactive activities, free bowling and billiards as well as free popcorn.