Business student scores prestigious internship with Gallup Company

Cal State Long Beach graduate student Lucy Craig was selected out of almost 1,300 applicants from business schools across the country for an internship with The Gallup Company.

According to Craig, she is one of seven applicants chosen to intern with the research-based consulting company.

Craig will be working as a client development intern at Gallup’s Chicago offices for eight weeks this summer. Her work there will include contributing ideas to support client teams coming up with consulting solutions.

She is pursuing two master’s degrees in business administration and theatre management.

Craig is also very active in many campus organizations. She is the president of CSULB’s Master’s of Business Association, a senator-at-large for Associated Students Inc., as well as assistant general manager at KBeach, where she hosts a weekly talk show called “Art Attack.”

Still, securing an internship for this summer was a top priority for Craig.

“When you’re doing an MBA, a summer internship is really important,” Craig said. “It’s crucial to your career.”

Craig explained that after looking into The Gallup Company extensively, she knew it was the right fit for her.

“I couldn’t find anything bad … I liked everything about it,” she said.

Craig, who is originally from the United Kingdom, received her first master’s degree from the University of Glasgow in Scotland in 2000. She immigrated to California that same year with dreams of being an entertainer.

Shortly after moving to the Los Angeles area, Craig started working in finance at Professional Business Solutions. She was quickly promoted through the small company as it grew from five employees to 100. She was making six figures at the age of 26, but wasn’t happy working in finance at that point in her life.

“At the time, I hated it, I wasn’t interested in the money,” Craig said. “I wanted to be in the entertainment industry.”

Now she has her sights set on advancing in the business world. Craig would like to continue with Gallup in their Irvine office so she can keep living in California.