Death penalty may end in California, pending voter approval

A proposal to replace the death penalty with a life sentence in prison for California qualified for the November ballot on Monday.

According to the attorney general’s official summary, repealing the death penalty in California could result in saving millions of dollars annually. It is estimated that the measure will create $100 million from 2012-13 through 2015-16, which will be distributed to law enforcement agencies solving homicide and rape cases.

The initiative applies to more than 700 California prisoners who have already been sentenced to death, according to The Sacramento Bee. Those found guilty of murder would be required to work while incarcerated, and their wages would be applied toward victim restitution and other fines.

Shantika Elliott, a senior communications major at Cal State Long Beach, said that the penalty should remain in effect.

“I think it should be kept and used for the most heinous of criminals,” Elliott said.

Elliot said that she feels certain criminals should spend the rest of their lives in prison. Others, such as serial killers like Ted Bundy, should be eligible for the death penalty, she said.

Devang Engineer, a freshman biology major, also said that there should not be an outright ban on the death penalty in California.

“It shouldn’t be something that’s implemented frequently, of course, only for the most severe cases,” Engineer said. “It depends on the person, and it depends on the exact nature of the crime they’ve committed.”

Other students support the repeal. Joanna Franco, a junior political science major, said that she would be voting in favor of the ban.

“I feel it’s a barbaric practice that has long been outdated,” Franco said. “I think that experience has also shown that if you use other forms of therapy to treat a criminal, it ends up being more effective and cheaper for the state.”