Suspect booked for trespassing, asking ‘uncomfortable’ questions

University Police found a suspicious person near the Beach Hut on April 16 at 2 a.m., Capt. Scott Brown said. 

The suspect was described as a 5-foot-6, thin, black man wearing a dark hoodie and black pants, Brown said. He was cited for trespassing since he had no business on campus, especially not at that time in the morning, Brown said. 

The man returned to campus on April 18 around 9 p.m., Brown said. This time, he was asking female students questions that made them uncomfortable, Brown said.

Since he was in violation of his trespassing citation, the suspect was booked at the Long Beach City Jail, Brown said.

A series of unfortunate events

A student reported his Giant Escape 2 hybrid bike stolen from a bike rack located between Liberal Arts building 1 and the University Library between April 16 and April 17, Brown said. 

When the student returned on Tuesday evening to retrieve his bicycle, he found the bike and the cable lock used to secure it missing, Brown said. The total loss is valued at $400.

The same student’s silver MacBook Pro was stolen from The Outpost Grill only a day later, Brown said. 

On April 18, the student had stepped away from his MacBook Pro for a moment and returned to find it missing, Brown said. The total estimated cost, including a laptop case, is $1,800.

Phone application almost works

University Police received a call from a man, on April 19, reporting that the “Find My Phone” application had located his phone near the pool area of the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, Brown said.

The man had lost his cell phone in an off-campus car accident and noticed that the application said it was on the CSULB campus, Brown said. University Police responded by searching the area, but were unable to locate the phone once the signal from Find My Phone was lost. 

Cash stolen from RLC

University Police received a report of a petty theft from Beach Hall in the Residential Learning Center on April 13 around 8:30 p.m., Brown said. 

While investigating the $140 cash theft from the RLC, University Police made contact with a possible suspect, Brown said. 

University Police then found out that the suspect also had a warrant based on a gang-related injunction. She was arrested because of the warrant, but is not yet directly connected to the RLC theft. 

Stolen items

A student reported his silver MacBook Pro stolen from Room 201 in the University Telecommunications building on April 13, Brown said.

The student had left the laptop unattended from 11:40 a.m. to 12 p.m. and returned to find it missing, Brown said. The MacBook is valued at $5,000 and there are currently no suspects.

A student reported his backpack stolen from a classroom in the Engineering 4 building on April 17 between 2 and 4 p.m., Brown said.

The student stepped out of the otherwise unoccupied room and returned to find his backpack missing. His bag included items such as a $550 Lenovo ThinkPad and an engineering textbook valued at $200, Brown said. There are currently no suspects.

A student reported her white Cannondale mountain bike stolen on April 12 between 6 and 9 p.m., Brown said. 

She had used a cable lock to secure her bike to a rack located on the west side of the Kinesiology building but found both items missing, Brown said. The total estimated loss is $700.

A red and black Paul Frank beach cruiser was reported stolen from the bike rack near the H building in the Parkside Commons Residence Hall between April 18 and April 19, Brown said. 

The student had secured her bike with a cable lock, but returned to find her bike missing, Brown said. The total loss is valued at $300.

A woman reported a coin purse stolen from her bag at the University Library on April 19 around 5 p.m., Brown said.

She had left her bag unattended outside of a restroom and returned to find her red coin purse and Bank of America debit card stolen, Brown said. The total loss is valued at $6 and it has been reported that the debit card was not used to make any purchases since then, Brown said.