BOT to consider presidential salary freeze

The Cal State University Board of Trustees will vote Tuesday on whether to freeze presidential compensation paid from state funds, according to an agenda for the May 8 board meeting.

Approval of the freeze would allow the 23-campus system to augment presidential salaries with “campus foundation funds” but would ban public funds from being used.

The freeze would be an amendment to the CSU’s current policy on presidential compensation, which capped presidential salaries at 10 percent above an incoming president’s predecessor’s and set guidelines for compensation based on a comparator list that divided each of the CSU’s 23 campuses into 4 tiers.

A CSU special committee on presidential compensation recommended a review of the amendment in 2014 and the university system has said it would review the comparator list annually.

The CSU board considers the freeze while six campuses, Cal Maritime, Cal State Stanislaus, Cal State Dominguez Hills, Cal State San Bernardino and San Francisco State, are looking for new presidents.

The CSU recently hired Leroy Morishita at Cal State East Bay and Mildred Garcia at Cal State Fullerton under the 10 percent cap policy.

Morishita and Garcia will receive an annual salary of $303,660 and $324,500, respectively.

Cal State Long Beach President F. King Alexander earns $320,329 annually.