Parking Lot renovation to add student spaces

Cal State Long Beach Parking and Transportation Services will begin construction work on Lot 17 and 18 for additional parking spaces and new pay-by-space parking machines, starting this summer.

The construction, which is scheduled for completion by the fall semester, will create more convenient parking for students and faculty, according to Mark Rudometkin, general manager of Parking and Transportation Services.

Changes being made to Lot 17 will include the removal of 90 single-space meters, the installment of three LUKE pay-by-space machines that will handle 45 numbered parking spots located near Brotman Hall and the addition of 81 employee parking spaces.

A few more student carpool spaces will also be added, making a total of 168 spaces.

“We have already removed a majority of single space meters throughout the campus and have made them employee parking, and the reason being the ease of use with the pay-by-space machines is that they accept cash, debit, credit and Beach Club cards, whereas the old meters took just coins,” Rudometkin said. “This reduces collection time and allows for more flexibility with payment options for the new machines.”

Currently, the rate for the pay-by-space is $2 for one hour, $5 for two hours, $10 for three hours and $15 for four hours.
If people want to park for longer in these areas, they would have to pay a premium rate.

“This rate is consistent in all pay-by-space areas on campus and has been set in order to encourage turnover,” Rudometkin said. “All of the pay-by-space areas are located in convenient areas of campus, so the emphasis is to have people park for less time so that more people can take advantage of these locations.”

The 10 metered spaces in Lot 17 will remain as a $2 one-hour maximum parking space.

Lot 18, located behind the Student Health Center, is currently a restricted parking lot with 251 employee spaces.

After construction, there will be parking spaces available for students with a valid CSULB parking permit, as the lot will shift to a combination of 84 employee parking spaces and 135 general parking spaces.

“Lot 18, for many years, has been an employee lot only, with the recent construction to the lot and new pathway, the decision was made to open up spaces in this lot for student parking,” Rudometkin said. “The lot is conveniently located next to the Student Health Center and Brotman Hall.”

Remy Tan, senior French major, said the expansion will probably reduce parking stress.

“I’ve always thought that the school should allow general parking in Lot 17 and 18 since they are so much closer to the LA buildings, where I mostly study,” Tan said. “And finding a parking spot is always a hassle in the morning.”