Talent show raises money for injured professor

The Professional Event Planning class held their first annual Beach Talent Showcase, featuring a handful of student performers, in the University Theater on Friday.

The proceeds went to journalism professor Chris Karadjov and the Department of Communication Studies Scholarship Fund.

Karadjov was injured in a skiing accident in January, causing him to undergo a six-hour surgery. He is currently attending rehabilitation. It is unclear if he will walk again.

“Originally, we didn’t have too much of a focus with where the money would be going,” senior communications student Aaron Guido said. “We kind of intended to put the extra money toward the communications scholarship fund, but we felt that for Karadjov, it’d be a much better cause.”

The talent show lasted three hours and consisted of five different performers.

Communications students Adam Gomez, Aaron Guido and Travis Brummet were in charge of planning the event.
The number of attendees and amount of money raised is still undetermined. However, enough money was made through ticket sales for each performer to receive a $300 monetary retribution.

The performances included the Low Low Jones, a funk-rock band with a female lead; break-dancing group Schools for Fools; pianist Mario Granville; singer Jessica Garcia; and flamenco-guitarists Romero y Perez.

Auditions were held in person and through video and lasted from February to about two weeks before the show. The group saw about 10 total auditions.

“[This talent show] is a great opportunity for students who aren’t music majors and students who don’t have time to devote to scheduling in performances to showcase something that they really love,” senior psychology and human development major Mario Granville said. “Most students on this campus think the students here are hard-boiled partiers or hard-boiled studiers, but we can come here and see what it’s all about for them.”

A raffle was held during intermission for four tickets to the season finale of “The Voice.”

It is unknown whether the Beach Talent Showcase will be annual. According to Guido, the decision rests upon future students of the Communications 337 class.

Guido and Brummet held a previous benefit for Karadjov at Frisco’s in Long Beach on April 27 called Step N2 Summer. That event raised about $600 to $700.

Donations can be made to Karadjov online at youcaring.com, “At Cause for Chris Karadjov – Medical Expense.”