Internships essential for launching careers, gaining experience

In today’s economy, one of the main things separating the just-hired from the unemployed are internships.

Along with degrees, many employers are looking for resumes with hands-on experience. With budget cuts and tuition increases, many students struggle going to work and school full-time.

“It’s funny, because it’s something that’s not required … but it’s the one thing professors emphasize the most,” Nicole Rodriguez, a senior film major, said.

Rodriguez interned last summer for a production company making music videos and commercials.

During her internship she spent most of her time running deliveries, serving coffee and securing entrances to the sets.

“It definitely wasn’t easy working for free,” Rodriguez said. “Summer is supposed to be the time for me to work and save money, not spend money. But I figured it’s something I eventually had to do. “

Mia Reyes, a senior journalism major, has taken on a number of internships and continues to work while still attending school as a full-time student.

She has had six internships that were all unpaid.

Although she was unable to receive any school credit, it greatly boosted her resume.

“Paying to work for free sounds kind of like an oxymoron,” Reyes said. “That’s nice that they’re offering that as an option for summer session. I’m sure it’s a good opportunity to be able to gain credit as well, but I just don’t have the money or time in me to do that.”

Reyes is graduating this semester and is still looking for open positions. She has applied to several companies they all are still asking for more hands-on experience.

“It really is a bittersweet time for me,” Reyes said. “I’m really excited to be graduating, but it’s also something that really scares me because I feel like I still have a lot more I need to learn from the real world.”

Internships are becoming more essential to a student’s career, but some students argue they would not pay for course credit to work for free.

“There are ways of gaining the experience without having to pay,” Reyes said. “If you have the money and are able to, then by all means. But that’s the whole point of internships – taking the responsibility to find one and show them what you have to offer. I feel that allows you to prep more for the real world.”