CSULB students have a diversity of summer plans

As the busy spring semester comes to an end, many students at Cal State Long Beach are trying to nail down their summer plans.

The newfound freedom of summer offers students the ability to find fun trips, jobs and internships.

Many students utilize the summer break to land a job that brings in extra cash.

“Usually we hire towards the end of summer to prepare for the beginning of school when everyone is in getting their books,” said bookstore employee and sophomore, Ross Bronzan. “It’s easy to apply online, and they always work around your school schedule.”

On campus jobs are a convenient option for many students during the school year, but the decreased amount of students attending during the summer means there will be fewer positions available and limited hours.

However, there’s still hope to find positions on campus during the summer, specifically with the Beach Pride Center. Program and office assistant, Nikita Rambaran, has worked with the Beach Pride Center for nearly two years assisting with event planning and anything else she can.

“Because this is my last summer working here, I will be looking for a replacement for myself,” said Rambaran. “I’ll have to go through applications and find someone by the end of June or early July.”

During the summer, the position requires 20 to 25 hours per week and students can apply online through the Associated Students Inc. website.

BeachLINK is way for students can find jobs locally and in their hometowns. The website helps students to locate jobs and internships in many cities. This option is also helpful for students heading home for the summer because it helps to find available positions close to where students live. Aside from job hunts, summer travel plans are also on the minds of students across CSULB.

Aimee Bowdey, a sophomore communication studies major, is volunteering with the nonprofit Just Tell. It aims to educate and empower children and adults about sexual abuse.

“Too many people stay silent when it comes to sexual abuse, and this is one issue that needs to generate awareness,” Bowdey said.

She is working a booth to raise awareness for the organization and will receive free entry to all the California dates of Vans Warped Tour.

Junior journalism major, Vince Camfield, is planning a road trip to the Electric Daisy Carnival in Las Vegas.

“Being an older student, I was hesitant to go again, but it’s in Las Vegas, and you’re never too old for Vegas,” Camfield said.

The event is America’s largest dance music festival. It includes seven stages, theatrical performances and 130 performers.

With the diverse student body at CSULB, summer plans are different for every student. Whether it is landing a job on campus or spending time in the sun, the summer is sure to be a fun and productive time for students.