InterAct holds open auditions

Cal State Long Beach’s InterAct Performance Troupe has earned a national reputation, though it was started simply as an extra curricular activity on campus in 2000.

The troupe has performed in locations ranging from Hawaii and Alaska to Washington, D.C. It currently serves as a three-unit course in the communication studies department and covers issues ranging from sexual assault to homophobia.

In the fall, students of the troupe will tackle the issue of sexual assault by taking scripts from students’ journals and spoken word to create a performance. Part of the performance will come from the audience themselves, who will improvise with InterAct members, something that gives the group its unique identity.

Sara Castledine, graduating member of InterAct, said that the experience has been extremely important to her and she will never forget the people she’s met and the lives she’s touched.

“Joining troupe was one of my proudest moments,” Castledine said. “The things we’ve gone through together in the two years I’ve been here have changed my life.”

As a sociopolitical performance group, the students involved learn about political issues, social change and activism. Students are not only given the opportunity to learn about the issue in lecture but also to learn about prevention and performance.

The troupe trains its members during a one-year program on sociopolitical topics, teaching them skills such as acting, improv, ensemble performance and oral interpretation.

Kelly Jenkins, managing director of InterAct, serves as the professor of the course as well as facilitator of shows, rehearsal and travel.

According to Jenkins, InterAct will perform in several events both in and out-of-state during the summer. One of their more prominent performances will take place at the beginning of the summer when they perform at Tulane University in New Orleans.

Students involved travel for free to perform across the U.S.
“We travel around the U.S. doing shows for various colleges and organizations,” said Timothy Maurer, member of the InterAct. “It has made my college experience meaningful and I know others will feel the same.”

InterAct is searching for individuals who have a passion for social change and are willing to have an open mind about the group. Acting skills are not necessary, because incoming troupe members will be trained for performance.

“We are looking for someone who is interested, energetic and passionate,” Jenkins said. “We want them to be enthusiastic and passionate about the work we do.”

Students of the troupe meet on Sunday nights to speak about issues affecting their society.

InterAct held open auditions for the fall semester on Thursday.