CSULB graduates to teach English overseas

Rather than settling down for a nine to five job, two recent Cal State Long Beach graduates sought the unexpected and chose to embark on a two-year experience teaching English overseas through CSULB’s Sister City of Yokkaichi, Japan.

Cameron Lombardo and Christopher Rohar were selected among nine other applicants for the Yokkaichi English Fellowship. Their journey to Japan begins August 30.

Lombardo and Rohar were chosen for the fellowship based on letters of recommendation, their interest in Japanese culture and teaching experience, according to Lombardo. Rohar graduated in 2010 with a degree in Japanese and international business, and Lombardo graduated this year with a degree in Japanese.

Lombardo said he has wanted to teach overseas since he was in high school and that he is not worried about the culture shock.

“I am more nervous in the teaching aspect, with making lesson plans and gauging where [the students’] English levels are at,” Lombardo said. “They are middle and high school students, but that doesn’t mean much.”

Lombardo took Japanese classes in high school, which inspired him to travel to Japan and become immersed in the culture and language. He said he’s not fearful of being away from home, even if it is for a couple of years.

“Having studied Japanese culture, having studied there for a semester, I always felt like I was going to do this,” Lombardo said. “It feels right.”

Rohar said he feels like he is ready to teach English in a culture different from his own because he lived in Japan for a year as a student and accepted the challenges he encountered.

“As long as there is a challenge, I am ready,” Rohar said. “I know I am ready because I look forward to overcoming those challenges.”

Rohar said he knows that teaching English to Japanese students will be more than one-way learning. He will “definitely be learning [Japanese] from them as well.”

As a Spanish and English speaker, Rohar said that studying the Japanese language has helped in more ways than one.

“My Spanish grammar has even improved,” he said.

Lombardo and Rohar agreed on one topic that will be a challenge – the weather.

“There is no AC and heat. Everyone just learns to adjust and wear big jackets,” Lombardo said.

Bryan Duren, a CSULB 2011 graduate and friend of Lombardo and Rohar, currently participates in the program. He had a few words of guidance for Lombardo and Rohar.

“Expect different things,” Duren said. “Both of you will question many things, but you can only question yourself and no one else.”