Lost and found auction to sell 30 bikes

Cal State Long Beach’s “Lost & Found Auction & Sale” is returning for the first time in two years, and it’s coming back with a fleet of bikes.

The Property Office will host a campus-wide auction of items from CSULB’s lost and found locations on Wednesday from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at the Friendship Walk.

Students, faculty and staff will be able to purchase items ranging from calculators to purses and bicycles.

According to Michelle Baker, process improvement specialist at Cal State Long Beach, all items will be sold “as is” on a cash-and-carry basis only. A portion of the auction time, from 12:15 to 1 p.m., will also be dedicated to selling about 30 bikes, Baker said.

Baker said the event is designed to promote sustainability and reutilization amongst students, and the auction will not be conducted to generate a profit.

“The auction/sale proceeds are used for personnel services, operating expenses and equipment expenses associated with the sale/auction,” Baker said via email.

Many of the items for sale came from the Student Recreation and Wellness Center, Baker said.
There are seven lost and found locations where items can be dropped off, including the lost and found main office, which is located on lower campus near the Facilities Management and Mail Services offices and the University Library.

Senior business management major Edwin Jimenez said he was skeptical of the quality of the items in the auction.

“To be honest …, [it] sounds like a thrift store, so I don’t know what to expect,” he said.

Junior journalism major Gisela Merino said it was “disheartening that items had been lost” but that she was considering purchasing a bike for the right price.

Any leftover items from the auction will be donated to Goodwill, according to Baker.