Delivery in the works for Domino’s on campus

Some factors have hindered immediate action on starting delivery. Pizza will soon be just a quick phone call away for anyone on campus who doesn’t want to trek all the way up to the University Dining Plaza.

According to Rosa Hernandez-Henderson, director of communications and human resources for the 49er Shops, Domino’s is in talks of delivering pizza on campus.

Hernandez-Henderson said that since the Domino’s opened, contracts have been in the works to allow the location to deliver pizza on campus.

“Domino’s is already a partner with us in the [Walter] Pyramid and has a stand at Blair Field,” she said. “The addition of Domino’s in the UDP just made sense.”

Hernandez-Henderson said that the new Domino’s, which has amenities like a pick-up window, strives to reach all students, an endeavor that can be better accomplished by delivery on campus and to the dorms.

“We just got approval for bike delivery, and we’ve only been open for two weeks,” Martha Guijarro, an employee at the Domino’s UDP location, said. “As far as delivering pizzas, we aren’t sure when that will be taking place.”

Guijarro said that there are some factors hindering immediate action on delivering pizzas including a location that is not yet properly equipped for this effort, on campus bike restrictions, pricing, the span of delivery routes and the extension of hours of operation.

Students have expressed their enthusiasm over the addition of Domino’s to the UDP and the possibility of an on campus delivery system.

Michelle Martinez, a junior communications major, said she is excited for on campus pizza delivery.

“It’s a great idea,” she said. “[It’s] cool they may have that soon; it would be very convenient.”

Martinez also questioned whether or not delivering pizza would be disruptive or distracting, and what this may mean for Sbarro’s, the other pizza establishment on campus.

Even though the UDP Domino’s location opened two weeks ago, an official grand opening event is still in the works, according to Guijarro.