On campus skateboarding ban to be reconsidered

Campus skateboarders may no longer hold their breath in anticipation of a possible fine, as university administration and police work to change policy and allow skateboarding at Cal State Long Beach.

Changes to a Long Beach City municipal code that would allow skateboarding on CSULB’s campus will soon be presented to Vice President of Administration and Finance Mary Stephens, who will then make a case to the Long Beach City Council to permit skateboarding.

University Chief of Police Fernando Solarzano, who is among the supporters of on campus skateboarding, said he has seen skateboarding evolve over the years and encourages the Long Beach City Council to recognize the evolution as well.

“Skateboards aren’t toys anymore,” Solorzano said. “They’re a form of transportation that many students use to get around campus.”

According to the current code, use of skateboards is prohibited on all streets, alleys, sidewalks, parking facilities, driveways, paths and grounds of the campus.

Students are not permitted to ride skateboards anywhere on campus and those who do are subject to being issued a citation of more than $200.

Solorzano said he and his staff have been working with Capital Project Manager Michael Gardner and Alternate Transportation Coordinator Elissa Thomas to change the wording of the municipal code so that students who use skateboards as a means of transportation can ride without the fear of receiving a citation.

In order for the Long Beach City Council to recognize a change to the wording of the municipal code, Solorzano said the campus must first come up with a plan of specific rules to regulate skateboarding.

The formal plan, which will be presented in front of the City Council, includes an illustrated map with detailed descriptions of designated areas where bikers and skateboarders will be allowed to ride.

“Pedestrian safety is the priority,” Solorzano said.

In addition to the map, a set of rules and safety tips for skaters, bikers and students will also be presented during the City Council meeting, which will take place sometime this semester.

According to Solorzano, CSULB is the first university to put out an extensive plan for skateboarders and bikers on campus.

“[University of California, Berkeley] and [University of California, Davis] have good plans for the bikes, but we’re the first school to have a skateboard plan,” Solorzano said.

Solorzano said he predicts that the Long Beach City Council will hear the case this summer, and by fall 2013, skateboarders will be allowed to ride on campus.

Solorzano said he and his staff are most interested in accommodating students’ needs and wants to make their time at CSULB enjoyable.

“Safety and cycling tips and the campus policy handout will be handed out hopefully during SOAR and during safety week,” Solorzano said.

Holly Skinner, a fashion-merchandising professor who has been working at CSULB for six years, said she has seen an increase in the number of students who ride skateboards. She has also noticed that riders aren’t paying close attention to cars.

“I’m more concerned that the people riding the skateboards can get hit by a car than me being hit by a skateboarder,” Skinner said.

Some students who skateboard on campus, like senior communications studies major Sean Kubota, said the changing the skateboarding policy on campus is necessary.

“It’d be one thing if we had people doing tricks and doing kick flips everywhere,” Kubota said, “but we have people using longboards as a device to transport themselves rapidly throughout this long expanded campus.”

Kubota also said that skateboard use may be restricted on campus because the activity has been casted in a negative light.

“We’re allowed [on campus] with bikes and razor scooters yet not skateboards because it’s seen as … something negative, something rebellious and devious when the way that we are doing it is very peaceful, and I think that needs to be considered,” he said.

Staff Writer Pedro Reyes contributed to this report.