Our View-Tea baggin’ ain’t the same ol’ activity it used to be

Most of us know the circumstances surrounding the Boston Tea Party. Under British, rule we felt unfairly taxed, without a voice. This historic event has been talked about and taught for centuries. It’s a classic symbol of America and our ideals. No taxation without representation. We demand a fair system, we demand to have our voices heard.

The recent stimulus package and tax cuts have stirred some Americans into action. Obama’s tax plan involves cuts for 95 percent of the working population and a slight raise in taxes for the few who make $250,000 a year or more.

This “raise in taxes” has aroused groups to stage modern tea parties. They are not at all pleased that their taxes will be lower. They must want America to continue to help the top five percent of the population remain secure and stable. To show disdain for Obama’s plan, folks busted out the tea bags and protested.

We know, right? How can the current situation be compared to the Boston Tea Party?

We just elected a president with more than 50 percent of the vote — we have a voice. It’s evident that the majority of this country had a voice when they spoke in November during the election.

Demonstrators without question have the right to protest. The question is, however, what was their purpose? Instead of having a clear-cut cause, it seems more like a USC fraternity simply wanted to say “tea bagging,” kind of like telling middle-school fart jokes.

The symbolism of the 1773 Tea Party is forever tainted when we have protesters calling on the historic event for undefined reasons of sensationalism.

First off, most people’s taxes will be reduced. For those angry about the bailouts, you are responsible — we all are. We didn’t pay attention or demand accountability from those that destroyed our economy. Every politician is of our doing. We cast our votes and there they are; reprehensible or innocent — we chose them.

What is this current uproar about? It’s another made-up excuse for those who oppose Obama to shout inane statements about him and his administration. This is the same group that is complaining about government spending, but is up in arms that Obama is asking his Cabinet to cut budgets within 90 days.

So when he spends government money to spur the sluggish economy it’s bad and when he cuts government spending it’s bad. Oh, and he’s a fascist now too. Calling him a socialist is old school; we’re too used to it and the meaning is weakening. Now he’s being called a fascist because it sounds more evil.

The man can’t even shake hands without having criticism flung his way. Since when is it a bad thing for the president of the United States to shake hands with other leaders like Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez? It does not make him look weak or unable to be president. It makes him look diplomatic and confident in his ability to problem solve.

Again, Obama campaigned that he will reach out to the likes of Chavez and other leaders considered our adversaries. He campaigned about it and we voted for it. Perhaps to some it’s too much of a shock for a politician to actually do what he promised.

It makes it hard to take this behavior seriously. It would seem those who are really interested in fixing our economic problems would do more to help, instead of staging ridiculous protests that use misguided puffery and goofy symbolism.

We have chosen our representation. Let him do his representing.

Larry Craig

Those Republicans and their teabagging… I’m surprised our campus conservatives did not celebrate this time-honored dip into history!

Obama’s first tax increase (cigarettes) disproportionately hits lower income earners. It is unlikely that 95% of Americans will see a tax cut. First, the bottom 40% of earners pay virtually no federal income tax. Giving a tax cut to someone who doesn’t pay any taxes is not a tax cut, its welfare. Second, with the projected deficits over the next several years that make even Bush look frugal, Obama will not be able to cut that many taxes because someone has to pay for these deficits eventually. We are also likely to see higher taxes on current methods of producing electricity in the name of global warming. This will essentially be a tax on everyone in the form of higher utility rates.

The massive amount of new spending must be funded through borrowing, taxing, or simply printing new money. Our nation’s credit is nearly maxed out. Nobody wants to pay more taxes. Look no further than Zimbabwe for the problems you get when you try to print new money to pay for government. The actions taken by our Federal Reserve and Treasury Dept. are going to cause huge inflationary pressures in the next several months. Inflation is a tax on all of us, but especially hits those who are saving money.

It is unfortunate that many of the protesters didn’t know why they were there, but it does not mean that the message is necessarily wrong. And to say that we are the ones to blame for the bailouts is ridiculous. I am no more to blame for the bailouts than you are to blame for the Iraq war (FYI: the congressman from my district voted against TARP and the stimulus).

Strange times, I would agree, when one calls “socializam old school”. You are getting closer than you think.

“Save the rich!” shouts the middle class. These are strange times.