Koreas to unify families

After nearly two years of barred doors between North and South Korea, both countries have decided to pull back momentarily to give their citizens a chance to see their families who span generations and borders.

Korea became two countries in 1945, after Japan lost WWII and surrendered it to the U.S. and Russia. Each country decided to split Korea in half to force their ideals of Democracy and Communism.

Since that fateful decision that tore apart a country, families that happened to be on the wrong side of the 38th parallel were separated from each other for 55 long years. At least until the two new countries’ leaders met and discussed the possibility of a reunion between family members in 2000.

There has been a handful of reunions sprinkled throughout the ensuing decade.

This year, families will be able to spend a week with one another between Sept. 26 and Oct. 1 at a vacation spot in North Korea. Both governments will first send lists of names to one another to find the families to take part in this long-awaited event.

The reunion is the brainchild of the Red Cross, which had planned on setting the date a full year before. That was stalled due to tensions between the two countries. Tensions began after current South Korean President Lee Myung-bak refused to send aid to North Korea due to its nuclear arms build up.

Besides allowing families another brief meeting, hope of reconciliation between the Koreas has been growing because of the opening of the Mt. Geumgang Hotel. The resort is where the reunion will take place, is one of the few places outsiders are allowed to visit in North Korea and has less restricted border control.

Currently crossing is severely controlled and limited. Soon the North will allow any number of persons to travel back and forth when the border is open.

Whether the two Koreas fusing into one country again will be a positive or negative occurrence is up in the air. While many Koreans strive for that day, there is also a large number who wish the day would never come.

For more than 50 years following South Korea’s birth, it has struggled and strived to create a stable economy and is now the 32nd richest country in the world. North Korea, however, is on the other end of the spectrum and uniting with South Korea would plunge them deeper into debt.

For love and pride for their country and fellow countrymen, Koreans both within and outside their country have found various ways, sometimes odd, to express their overwhelming feelings. One example was the unified cheers during the 2000 and 2004 Olympics, when the two Koreas marched together.

Through this family reunion, and other policies to widen the border, it can be said that the majority of Koreans hold their breaths and cross their fingers for the day when the 38th parallel will be erased forever.

Jean Kim is a creative writing major and a contributing writer for the Daily 49er.