Israel out of U.S. control

Let us pretend the British Mandate of Palestine never existed. Let us pretend the 1948 Palestinian exodus never happened, like the wall was never built, that food and water are readily available in Palestine and Palestinians aren’t second-class citizens. Let us also pretend — this could take some effort — the Palestinian people are not displaced, disenfranchised and oppressed.

For the reasons of pretending, this is not about them, not about Fatah or Hamas, the West Bank or the Gaza Strip, occupied Palestine or the Palestinian people. This is about the State of Israel and the United States of America.

The U.S. has long been a supporter of the State of Israel. From the state’s recognition by President Harry Truman in 1948 to the almost $103 billion of foreign aid sent to the Israeli government since then, this country has always bared the burden of Israeli sovereignty.

Why is it, then, that Israel insists on belittling a country so generous to its people?

The Israeli government has decided to continue building settlements in the occupied West Bank. Even after explicit opposition from the U.S., 455 units will be added to the 2,500 already under construction.

The White House released the following statement on Sept. 4: “We regret the reports of Israel’s plans to approve additional settlement construction. Continued settlement activity is inconsistent with Israel’s commitment under the Roadmap. ‪As the president has said before, the United States does not accept the legitimacy of continued settlement expansion and we urge that it stop.”

On Sept. 14, according to a parliament source, Israeli President Benjamin Netanyahu reiterated that the complete halt of Jewish settlements would not happen.

This move, a slap in the face of Americans, hinders Palestinian-Israeli peace talks; talks that are essential to peace in Palestine, as well as U.S. interests in the region and worldwide.

Israel has stated that increased settlements are necessary to keep up with growth from residents of existing settlements, but these settlements are illegal to begin with.

If the U.S. truly wants diplomatic success in the Middle East, it must attempt to do so by influencing Israeli policy. Nevertheless, attempts at this point have been limited to disappointing statements and public discouragement.

If we can’t pressure Israel away from violating international law — international law prohibits building settlements in occupied territories — how are we to broker peace in the region?

Ignoring Israel’s blatant disregard for international law, as well as our interests, is a waste of tax dollars. Israel has received more than $100 billion in foreign aid, for what? This support has destroyed Arab-American relations and fueled unnecessary anger.

It is time for the U.S. to exercise influence over Israeli policy. We must not sit back and allow Israel to simply do what it wants, whether building settlements in occupied territory or illegally using white phosphorus. Israeli disregard to international law must be controlled. This control needs to come from the United States.

Zien Halwani is a sophomore molecular biology major and an assistant opinions editor for the Daily 49er.