Capitalism not mortal enemy Michael Moore depicts in new documentary

Capitalism is not a bad thing. In fact, capitalism economically makes the world go ‘round. Without capitalism we would have the opposite — basically, communism — but according to Michael Moore, that’s fine and dandy.

By now, everyone knows that Moore’s films are direct representations of his opinions on all things political. That’s not the problem. Moore, like anyone, is free to say whatever he wants. The problem is that even though many of his ideas are fundamentally flawed and backward, people still think what he says makes sense.

Moore’s new film, “Capitalism: A Love Story,” is essentially a finger-pointing session about the sad state of American economics and how capitalism in general is the cause of it. It is also, as Moore has described in many interviews, a call to the common man to rise up.

Recently, Moore appeared on Bill Maher’s HBO opinion talk show “Real Time,” to discuss his new film. I like Maher because he is a realist, and he actually stuck it to Moore straight.

Following an analogy Moore made about being called upon to “fire the first salvo” and getting people to rise up, Maher simply mused, “But I still don’t understand what direction we are supposed to move in.” And that is the problem. Moore fancies himself in commander of an army composed of common people and he wants YOU to rise up! Against who? Against what?

Capitalism, according to Maher, is akin to a river in need of many dams in the form of regulations. I can’t disagree with that, and I don’t think many people would. But good old Mike had a different view: “The opposite of capitalism is not communism. The opposite of capitalism is democracy.”

If anyone is able to follow this man’s logic, please help me understand.

Capitalism and democracy operate in tandem. Is it even possible to have one without the other?

It’s no secret that capitalism could use some more regulations. But rising up against capitalism isn’t the way to achieve that. President Obama and Congress are really the sole entities who can enact such regulations, and we, the people, must urge them to do so because it is in our best interest.

Directing the people to “rise up” against capitalism is rather stupid. The system works — it just needs to be tweaked.
Here lies my problem with Moore. According to him, capitalism is synonymous with greed. This is not entirely true. Greed is simply a part of human nature. Even without capitalism, people will always want more, because instinctively, more is better.

Why deceive people into believing capitalism causes greed when Moore’s true problem lies solely with greed? To fix the greed that exists in capitalism is a rather easy task. Regulations must be placed on an out of control capitalist society, and such regulations — some of which have already been passed — will stop the spread of cronyism.

I have little respect for Moore. It is hard for me to respect a man who has built his film career on presenting half-truths and lies to a public too lazy to question what he says. After all, if it sounds legitimate, it must be true. I don’t hate Moore because of his politics; I hate him because of his general holier-than-thou nature while at the same time proposing to be a champion of the common man.

Moore is not a champion of the common man. He is just a documentary filmmaker who laughs all the way to the bank. The current gross revenue of “Capitalism: A Love Story” is over $5 million. See? Capitalism works just fine.

Gerry Wachovsky is a graduate student and columnist for the Daily 49er.