Obama paints false picture, blames GOP

On Wednesday President Barack Obama called on his Democratic allies in the United States Senate to lead in the face of Republican obstinacy.

“We’ll call [Republicans] out when they say they want to work with us, and we extend a hand and get a fist in return,” said Obama, according to an article by the Associated Press.

As an American who observes his country’s politics through a Machiavellian lens, I must say that this confrontational tactic by Obama impresses me.

For instance, as the country struggled to survive in its darkest economic hour since the Great Depression, Obama staunchly focused on passing environmental legislation that would’ve hurt the economy.

He also resolutely rushed a stimulus plan through Congress, warning that if Congress didn’t immediately pass it then unemployment would rise to be more than 8 percent. Unemployment is now 10 percent and by rushing that bill through, billions of dollars my generation will eventually pay for have been wasted.

Moreover, Obama determinedly tried to pass a health care bill that would’ve raised taxes on millions of middle class workers who receive health insurance from their employers. Gone was his promise to never raise taxes on the middle class. This is especially terrible given the egregious economic situation.

All the while Republicans stood against all this. In response, Obama and his Democratic party stopped looking for ways to compromise — until they lost their Senate seat in Massachusetts.

Republicans may have been obstinate, but that’s what has stopped Democrats from hurting America with their own inflexible legislative agenda.

Obama refuses to recognize his own misdirection in leading the country. Instead, he lashes out at Republicans claiming that they are the ones who have hindered America’s progress.

Bravo! What a great way to cover up one’s own deficiencies, refusing to acknowledge them.

Obama is painting his opposition as having those same deficiencies. But, will this tactic work? Considering how Americans have been so easily swayed by the politics of Karl Rove and now Rahm Emanuel, it’s hard to say.

Brain Cuaron is a senior English major and the managing editor for the Daily 49er.

blog comments powered by Disqus