Our View- Pentagon officials push ‘DADT’ repeal, slowly

Two of the nation’s top military officers announced last Tuesday their belief that gays and lesbians should be able to serve openly in the military, suggesting the “don’t ask don’t tell” policy or DADT policy be repealed.

The policy was implemented during former president Bill Clinton’s term. It banned gays and lesbians from serving openly in the military. Inevitably, those found or suspected of being homosexual have been discharged.

Over the course of nearly two decades, there have been more than 14,000 men and women who have been discharged from the military as a consequence of their sexual orientation or suspected sexual orientation.

The same day of the officers’ announcement, the Pentagon said that it too is beginning steps to end the 17-year-old policy on homosexuality in the military. They said that within the next 45 days they are going to review the way the law — i.e. being involuntary discharged — is enforced on service members.

This is a truly remarkable moment in military history. It is, however, overdue. Advocates for gay rights believe the Pentagon’s timeline is lethargic. After 17 years of discrimination the least the Pentagon could do is make this review a faster one.

Both Democrats and Republicans believe that the time being set out — a yearlong review of the policy and a 45-day review of its enforcement — is adequate for the military to transition.
Adm. Michael G. Mullen, chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said, “Speaking for myself and myself only, it is my personal belief that allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly would be the right thing to do.”

Honestly, we did not need him to tell us that, but we are glad he believes in equality.

Republicans, who do not favor the repeal, believe that while the policy may have flaws, it should be left as is. They have generally favored a slow review process.

In 2006, Sen. John McCain said he would consider lifting the ban if military leaders campaign for change. Four years later, McCain is flip-flopping like a recent Democratic presidential candidate: On Tuesday he showed no support for the repeal but rather thought it was being forced too quickly.

Many who push this policy claim that homosexuality is detrimental to troop morale and unit cohesion. McCain seems to adhere to this understanding.
In contrast, Republican and former general and U.S. secretary of state Colin Powell, who in 1993 called the policy a “healthy compromise” and played a major role in overturning Clinton’s effort to allow gays to serve openly, stated in December 2008 that the ban should be re-evaluated.

Issues such as this — especially ones involving the U.S. military — often attract a long bureaucratic process. This is understood. However, even with this understanding DADT should be a non-issue.

When two of the nation’s top military officers announce that they believe a policy involving the military should be repealed, then by all means we should repeal this policy. Congress should not interfere with policy that directly deals with intra-military interaction.

Who are we to question the likes of Adm. Mullen regarding issues pertaining to unit cohesion or troop morale?

Rightly so, DADT should always be an issue left in the hands of military officials. Their views and opinions are the only view and opinions that matter in this case. John McCain may be a decorated war veteran but he is not leading our military. The time to repeal DADT has come.

blog comments powered by Disqus