Irish luck in everyday life

The luck of the Irish is in full effect as St. Paddy’s Day takes over this week.

Ireland has endured a brutal history. With Vikings raids in the 1st millennium, British colonization in the 2nd and starvation, as well as mass emigration due to a potato famine, the Irish don’t seem to have much luck. However, the phrase “luck of the Irish” comes from the 19th century when Irish-luck turned around in the mines — the most successful gold miners were of Irish descent.

With all this luck, there comes a share of misfortune and this misfortune comes in the form of superstition. In order to avoid the most common misconceptions of Irish culture, I have taken on the task of integrating Irish superstitions into American society. Maybe we can all feel a little luckier this year.

Since the time we were able to feed ourselves, we have been told that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Given this, it only makes sense that we consume a traditional Irish breakfast — Lucky Charms! I find it hard to believe that anyone could actually dislike the magical deliciousness of marshmallows — or should I say stale cotton-candy lumps that turn milk blue. If you dismiss the charms, Dr. Seuss’s green eggs and ham should do.

Immediately following breakfast, you must attempt to catch a leprechaun. Why? For the luck of course!

There is no correct way to actually do this, but as we were taught in kindergarten, use a shoebox since leprechauns are shoemakers. Decorate the box any way you like and remember to leave gold coins behind to attract the “Good People.”

If you manage to catch a leprechaun, then congratulations! You really are lucky. Or maybe, you just anticipated my next piece of advice and instead of immediately hunting for leprechauns you started drinking after breakfast.

It may be a myth, but it is said that drinking in excess on St. Patrick’s Day started because on this day people are exempt from maintaining their Catholic Lenten fast. Most people fasted from alcohol so when St. Patrick’s came along, the opportunity to break this fast was not passed up.

Drinking is prevalent on Paddy’s Day, it is almost punishable by law not to drink — if you are of age, of course. Take into account that the drinking age in Ireland is 18.

I do want to give fair warning to the lads out there hoping to “get lucky” — don’t be deceived by her “Kiss Me, I‘m Irish” T-shirt. With only 12 percent of the population in America listed as Irish, the chances that she is just desperate are higher than the chances of her being Irish.

And to the lasses, just because he is not wearing green visible to the eye, claiming he dons the green elsewhere, doesn’t mean he’s not lying to you.

Nevertheless, look where the luck of the Irish got the Boston Celtics — they are first place in their division and they own the most NBA Championship trophies at 17. It is time to embrace all this luck and see where it can take us.

For those who still doubt the presidency, don’t worry anymore — Barack Obama has Irish heritage.

As the old saying goes, “If you’re lucky enough to be Irish, then you’re lucky enough.”

Kirsti Correa is a freshmen journalism and an assitant opinions editor for the Daily 49er.

blog comments powered by Disqus