Women’s tennis serves up first win

Long Beach State’s women’s tennis team picked up its first win of the year Sunday in Berkeley.

The 49ers outlasted No. 49 North Carolina State after dropping the doubles point but sweeping in singles play on the way to a 6-1 win.

In doubles, Rachel Manasse and Jessica Weeks cruised to an 8-0 win over Daria Petrovic and Pender Sessoms, but The Beach lost the remaining two matches to drop the other point.

In singles, however, Julie Luzar moved to an easy 6-0, 6-1 win over Semmons, and the depth of the 49ers showed as Anais Dallara and Lisa Sutton each grabbed singles wins. No. 68 Hannah Grady then wrapped up the match with a win over No. 87 Lenka Hojckova 6-2, 7-6 to clinch the match for LBSU.

The day before, the ‘Niners fell to No. 2 California, 7-0.

LBSU dropped both doubles matches as the 49er pair of Deborah Armstrong and Sutton fell to the Cal team of Mari Andersson and Jana Juricova, 9-8 (2). Manasse and Weeks lost their doubles match to Bojana Bobusic and Marion Ravelojaona, 8-3.

In singles action, Grady was defeated by Cal’s No. 13 Marina Cossou, 6-1, 6-1. Dallara was able to force a second set tie-breaker against No. 30 Claire Ilcinkas before falling, 6-1, 7-6 (2).

The Beach opened the season with a 7-0 loss at No. 10 Southern California last Wednesday.

The 49ers will open the new Rhodes Tennis Center on Friday against Florida International at 2 p.m.