Men's Water Polo, Sports

Bruin defense denies 49ers in 9-3 romp

When the 49ers’ Alexsandr Petrovic was stuffed on a 5-meter penalty shot with 1:32 remaining in the first quarter, it marked the beginning of an offensive struggle for the Long Beach State men’s water polo team.

The Mountain Pacific Sports Federation match culminated in a 9-3 loss to No. 4 UCLA Sunday afternoon at the 49er Campus Pool. LBSU head coach Gavin Arroyo credited UCLA’s defensive effort.

“They did a good job of keeping the ball out of the center position, we really couldn’t get anything going offensively,” Arroyo said.

The Beach kept the match within reach during the first half. Jeff Greenwood scored a goal at the 7:35 mark of the second quarter to even the score at one. Taylor Clute outhustled two Bruins for an offensive rebound with 2:09 remaining in the half and scored the 49ers’ second goal of the match, making the score 2-2.

UCLA entered halftime with a 3-2 advantage, but overwhelmed the 49ers in the second half, outscoring The Beach 6-1 in the final two quarters. The 49ers were able to add a last-second goal from Jordan Koeppen, putting their final goal total at three.

Beach goalie Derek Wiebe-Bailey attributed the Bruin’s success to their style of play.

“UCLA is traditionally a counterattack team,” Wiebe-Bailey said. “The first half, we were able to make them play front court, and make them shoot from the outside; then going into the second half, momentum shifted their way after a couple of counterattack goals and they were able to keep the momentum going.”

The ‘Niners were unable to convert on four different 6-on-5 man advantages. The Beach’s lack of offensive production can be attributed to the game-high 21 saves from UCLA goalie Chay Lapin.
Arroyo was concerned with his team’s execution.

“It’s the counterattack goals that you can’t give up,” Arroyo said. “That was our game plan going in, to try and eliminate those and they were able to get a couple. And the dam just kind of broke, and we just didn’t respond.”

The No. 8 ‘Niners (8-9, 1-4 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) will host No. 3 Stanford on Saturday before facing No. 2 California on Sunday. Both matches are scheduled for noon at the 49er Campus Pool.