Men's Water Polo, Sports

LBSU drops both games on first day at UCI

IRVINE —The Long Beach State women’s water polo team opened the UC Irvine Invitational dropping matches against No. 2 USC, 12-1, and No. 7 LMU, 12-7.

In the first match against USC, the ‘Niners could not get into an offensive rhythm as they were held scoreless in the first half. USC blasted The Beach with five first period goals, while scoring three in the second period.

“In some levels, USC went on us pretty good,” LBSU head coach Gavin Arroyo said. “Some of our girls were just not ready to play.”

The ‘Niner defense was rocked by USC in the first half, but gave the Women of Troy a fight in the second.

LBSU (3-8) allowed just two goals in the third period, one by USC sophomore Nadia Dan and another from junior Joel Bekhazi. LBSU finally got on board with a score by Melissa Matheson in the final minute of the third period to cut the deficit to 10-1.

In the fourth period, Kristin Stragier made a couple of saves, but allowed USC to score twice. Stragier made a total of five saves for the game. USC goalie Tumua Anae made eight saves. Ten different Women of Troy players found the back of the net.

“Kristin played pretty well,” Arroyo said. “USC is going to expose you when you get caught off guard, and they did.”

LMU 12, Long Beach State 7

LBSU fell to LMU in the second game on Saturday, 12-7.

The 49ers’ offense did not wake up in their match against USC earlier, but they did in the first period against the Lions.

LBSU quickly jumped on the board with three first period goals. LMU responded with better offensive play, which resulted with five first period goals to help the Lions jump ahead of the ‘Niners, 5-3.

The Lions outscored the 49ers, 3-2, in the second period to go into the half leading, 8-5.

The LMU defense frustrated the ‘Niners as LMU goalie Kristine Cato led the charge with 11 saves, most of which came in the second half.

In the third period of play, LBSU could not get back into the offensive groove it had in the first half, scoring just once in the period. A flurry of saves by Cato denied many shots that went her way.

Cato continued to play stonewall defense in the fourth period, allowing just one goal. Stragier, who made a total of six saves for the game, allowed one goal in the fourth period.

Six different 49ers found the goal column, with sophomore Krizia Cerda scoring twice.

The ‘Niners wrap up play at the tournament today.