Men's Water Polo, Sports, Women's Basketball

‘Niner Notes: April 15

Women’s Basketball: Wynn inks 3 players during late signing period

Long Beach State head coach Jody Wynn rounded out her 2010 recruiting class by adding three more players to the roster on Wednesday.

Jhakia McDonald, Ella Clark and Alex Sanchez will join The Beach for the 2010-11 season.

McDonald, a transfer from Fullerton College, helped the Hornets to an Orange Empire Conference title, going 12-0 in league play in 2009-10. The team also made an appearance in the state championship game.

She averaged 12.1 points, 4.4 rebounds and 2.7 steals per outing. McDonald attended the Arizona out of high school but redshirted her freshman year due to an injury.

Clark, a 6-foot-3 forward, comes to The Beach from London, England, where she has been a member of the youth national team since 2006.

Last year, she was named the 2009 Under 18 English Player of the Year. In addition to basketball, Clark represented England at the Under 21 World Netball Championships in 2008 and 2009.

Sanchez prepped at nearby Troy High School in Fullerton. The 5-foot-10 guard was a McDonald’s All-America nominee and garnered Freeway League Most Valuable Player honors as a junior and senior.

The trio joins Janae Coffee, Chantel Dooley and Brandi Henton, who all came aboard during the early signing period.

Women’s Water Polo: 49ers finish Big West play winless

Long Beach State completed its Big West regular season run with an 0-5 conference record after a final goal by No. 13 UC Irvine led the Anteaters to a 10-9 win on Thursday.

UC Irvine’s Caitlin Haskell delivered the game-winning goal for the Anteaters (12-13, 3-2 Big West).

Sophomore Krizia Cerda scored five goals for the 49ers, which was a season-high for the team and a career-high for the Florida native. Kristen Stragier made 13 saves for The Beach in a losing effort.

LBSU (7-19, 0-5 Big West) trailed, 6-1, halfway through the second period before it clawed all the way back to tie the game, 9-9 with 2:46 to play.

LBSU plays Cal State Bakersfield at the 49er Campus Pool in its final regular season match at noon on Saturday, before hosting the Big West Tournament the following weekend.

Disclaimer: The Daily 49er is not responsible for comments made on www.daily49er.wpengine.com. Persons commenting are solely responsible for comments made on this Web site. The Daily 49er strongly advises individuals to not abuse their First Amendment rights, and to avoid language suggestive of hate speech.