Men's Water Polo, Sports

Women’s water polo team assistant, 49ers part ways

Long Beach State women’s water polo assistant coach Heather Moody will embark on a new journey, as the two-time Olympian will leave the 49ers to become the next head coach for the United States women’s junior national team.

She will also resume duties as an assistant coach on the women’s senior national team, where she helped guide the squad to a silver medal in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Moody will replace Kyle Utsumi as the head coach of the junior women’s team.

“It’s a great opportunity. I’m nervous and excited,” a cheerful Moody said. “It’s definitely a step up to be a head coach of a program. Not only that, but I’m excited to work at the senior level and under Adam [Krikorian] so I could learn.”

Moody was referencing Adam Krikorian, the current head coach of the women’s national team and head coach of the men’s water polo team at UCLA. Moody, a former first-team All-American at San Diego State, was offered the job a couple months ago, but Krikorian needed to first consult with LBSU head coach Gavin Arroyo.

“Adam had called Gavin first to ask me,” Moody said. “After Gavin said yes, he called me and we went out to lunch to discuss about it. It was a long process. It was definitely something that couldn’t be finished right away, and negotiations were long.”

Her highlighted career includes twice being named USA Water Polo Player of the Year (1999, 2001), along with winning a silver medal at the 2000 Summer Olympics and captaining the bronze medal-winning team in 2004.

Moody was also named into the USA Water Polo Hall of Fame earlier this year and will be inducted this summer.

Her other previous coaching experience includes being the interim head coach for the U.S. women’s senior national team in 2005, where she guided the Americans to a silver medal at the FINA World Championships.

Moody also coached at Golden West College for five years.

“We’re really sad she’s going away,” said Lauren Sieprath, a junior driver on the 49er women’s water polo team. “The job she was offered is just a reflection of her ability and she’s going to do great things in the future.”

Moody, who is departing from The Beach after two seasons, said she appreciates the opportunities that the school provided her to develop her coaching skills.

“My time at Long Beach was amazing,” Moody said. “It was a growing experience. I loved working with Gavin and this program. He gave me responsibilities to grow as a coach and get my feet wet. The administration and athletic department have been supportive. I will miss everyone.”

The 49ers finished their 2010 season this past Sunday with a 12-7 loss to UC Davis in the Big West Conference tournament fifth-place game to close with an 8-21 overall record.
As Moody prepares to begin her duties with the national team, she will not be too far from campus.

“I will be around coming and supporting the team,” Moody said. “I train around here, so I’ll drop in for games and cheer whenever I can.”